Friday, August 14, 2009

It's great to get an unexpected phone call...

Throughout my grassroots marketing adventure, I've had the unique opportunity to interact with people from all backgrounds. From retired professionals, to active service members, to Vietnam veterans, every person I speak to has their own way of relating to The Way We Get By. As someone who's father and brother are both military veterans, I find the people I personally connect to the most are other family members of veterans and active service members.

These folks, often belonging to groups called Blue Star Moms, know how important the Maine Troop Greeters are, as they're the ones who receive the phone calls from Bangor when their loved-ones depart and return home from Iraq and Afghanistan. It's especially moving for them to know that strangers are opening their arms up to their sons and daughters and welcoming them back the first time the set foot on American soil.

One day last week as I was working on our Los Angeles outreach, I emailed an L.A.-area Blue Star Mom group to notify them of our screening times at the Laemmle Music Hall 3. About 30-minutes later, my phone rang and I didn't recognize the number. I picked up and on the other end of the line was Maria Riley, a Blue Star Mom from L.A.. The leader of her Blue Star Mom organization had forwarded their group members the movie info and she wanted to personally thank me for The Way We Get By. All three of her children served in the military and had gone through Bangor, Maine. Just watching the trailer had brought her to tears. According to Maria, whenever her children called from Bangor, that was when she knew they were finally home safe. Needless to say, speaking with her was incredibly moving. This post is dedicated to all military and veterans family members. The production team here at The Way We Get By sincerely hope your loved ones return home safely with a hero's welcome-- even if they don't get the pleasure of passing through Bangor!

Don't forget to buy your tickets to see The Way We Get By in Los Angeles now playing August 14-20!!! Click HERE for tickets!

Jessica Barnthouse
Associate Producer

No comments: